Burglary led to house explosionOct 30th, 2015 | By admin | Category: Lead Articles
Vacant homes with natural gas being allowed to be left on by many state regulators as the “SOFT-OFF” policy is not only a violation of federal regulations 192.727(d) it’s risking the safety of our families in neighborhoods all over the nation! The sole reason is to save the gas company money from sending out a gas co. employee to shut the gas off & lock it for safety until the apartment or home is later occupied and a gas co. employee comes out to turn the gas on and check the system and your appliance for safety.
This policy is not only reckless in terms of safety with vacant homes blowing up all over the nation—-the millions in wasted natural gas from being left on for appliances to run in vacant homes, or homes where a tenant has moved in, but chooses NOT to notify the gas company of their gas use as a tenant/customer is being paid by ALL RATEPAYERS ACROSS THE NATION!
SPEAK UP—& DEMAND CHANGE!
Douglas Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org:20 p.m. EDT October 30, 2015
“It appears there was some type of burglary that went on there,” Robert Mead, chief investigator for the Muncie Fire Department, said Friday evening.
Neighbors said the house – at 2003 S. Eaton Ave. – had been vacant for about three weeks.
When those responsible for the break-in stole the furnace from the home’s basement, they left an open natural gas line uncapped, Mead said.
That led to a buildup of gas in the house that led to the explosion that destroyed the house about 7:50 p.m. Thursday.
Mead said the investigation was ongoing, and that he at this point did not know when the burglary likely took place.
The explosion also damaged homes on either side of the destroyed house, and caused neighbors in a two-block radius to be evacuated from their homes for more than two hours Thursday night.
This story will be updated
Contact news reporter Douglas Walker at (765) 213-5851. You can also follow him on Twitter @DouglasWalkerSP.